The aim of findaschool is simple: we want to help parents find the right school for their children.
Choosing a school for your child is a difficult decision, and can be very complicated. We want to make things simpler for parents by presenting information regarding admissions, exam performance, inspection reports, and many other factors in an easily digestible format.
We will help you to assess your chances of getting into a particular school. Many of the best state schools are oversubscribed, with places allocated to those living closest to the school. We plot maps showing the areas where you would have needed to live in previous years in order to get a place at the school.
These areas do change every year, and sometimes quite dramatically. However, they are still your best guide as to whether you are likely to get a place at the school.
Data collection project
We are currently undertaking a project to collect admissions data for all state schools in England, Scotland and Wales. The site only covers Greater London and a few other areas in England at present. We are now in the process of are contacting every Local Authority and many individual schools to collect data for the rest of the country.
If you are interested in finding out more about this project, or if you can help us find the data, please email Jess.
We provide a set of tools to help you find and compare schools, and subject to data availability, to work out your chances of getting a place at the school given where you live.
- We allow you to compare up to 5 schools side by side. In this comparison we present charts and tables with selected data on exam performance (Key Stage 2, i.e. SATs; GCSE; A level). The government publishes an overwhelming number of statistics on school performance. We present only a small number of key indicators which should be sufficient to give you an idea of the relative performance of each school.
- In addition, we present Ofsted report grades and provide links to the underlying reports. Many private schools are not reviewed by Ofsted, and so we also provide links to the Independent Schools Inspectorate.
- We also present statistics from the annual pupil census. This gives details about the social make-up of the pupils in the school, such as the percentage of pupils taking free school meals and the proportion who do not have English as a first language.
- As discussed above, we present admissions information for community primary schools to help you better understand your chances of getting a place at the school. At present, we have collected admissions data for primary schools in Greater London, Manchester, Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Hampshire and Warwickshire.
- Finally, you can search for homes for sale or to rent, and add these properties to the map. Subject to data availability, you can then see whether these homes are within a particular school admission area (i.e. had you been living at this home last year, would you likely have got a place at the school).
Have you found the site useful in your search for a schools, or perhaps a new place to live? Is it missing features or data that would help you with this process? Or have you noticed data that is out-of-date or just wrong? Please do let us know, either by using the feedback form below, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This site would not be possible without a number of inputs from around the web.
We make use of a number of Google services. In particular,
- the maps are created using the Google Maps API; and
- the charts and tables are created using the Google Charts API.
The icons used on the map are courtesy of the Maps Icons Collection - http://mapicons.nicolasmollet.com
Of course, there wouldn't be much to this site without the underlying data. Thanks to the various government departments and local authorities for publishing it in the first place.
Copyright and company information
findaschool.info is copyright findaschool Ltd.
findaschool Ltd is incorporated with company number 07756654.